Thursday, July 9, 2009

Day 31 - 8mile GA

GA - general aerobic. I took this Wednesday workout, added 2 miles and slowed the pace a bit. I wanted to start increasing my mileage a bit, because I think at this point the biggest factor in me getting in shape for this marathon is mileage and not speed. While I think the fartlek and tempo sessions are the reason I'm getting better quickly, the long slow distance and general aerobic runs are whats going to get me through miles 16-26 I believe.

So off I went.

Miles 8.01
Time 1:15.31
Pace 9.25 min/mile
HR Ave/Max 160/167
Running Index 54

Not necessarily a bad run. I felt great for the first 5 miles, then my hip and knee started to ache a bit. I'm not ready to take time off for these little ailments yet. Let's wait and see how the half marathon treats me. In looking back at some of last weeks training, I think I'm getting worn down a bit again. I am looking forward to the easy week that will be next week. Last Wednesday my tempo run was a good minute per mile faster, and my heart rate was only 7 beats per minute higher. Then on Sat. my pace was also a minute faster, and my heart rate was only 4 beats per minute faster. Without getting too caught up on the numbers, I think this is telling me to take it easy the rest of the week. That should be easy enough.

So that was the last 'hard' workout before the half marathon. I plan to run 3 miles easy tonight, and then again on Sat. morning. I might take an ice bath Sat. morning after the run to really get my legs in the right frame of mind. This half is very important, at least for my motivation and confidence levels. My goal time is 1:52.00. I think its do-able. Based on last weeks LSD run, I was on pace for 1:58.00. And that was without pushing myself to the limits. I think I can mkae up 30 seconds per mile when its all on the line.

1 comment: