Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Day 24 - 7mile (5mile tempo)

Damn! If every run could be like today...

Day 24 - 7 miles (5 tempo)
Miles 7.0
Time 58.08
Pace 8.20 min/mile
HR Ave/Max 167/184
Running Index 56

I started out with a 1.5 mile warm up. Nice and easy, keeping my heart rate below 80%. Average HR for this section was 154 and pace was 8:51 min/mile. It was a relatively nice warmup. A couple of small rolling hills, and a path through a golf course.

As I hit the main road, it was time to turn things up a notch. I planned to run out to 3.5 and then return back the same way I came. Tempo run was 5 miles, HR average 172, pace 7:55 min/mile. DAMN! I was flying. Near the end I even kicked it up a notch to 7:15 pace for the last .25 mile. This run helped solidify in my mind that the training I am doing is working, and that taking it easier on my easy days is important. Granted, it was about 65 degrees out, I think that helped a bit. But I've also learned to maximize my breathing and minimize my heart rate during my run. I try to relax and I think that helps too.

As a side note, I decided to look up the USA Olympic Marathon Mens Team Trial Qualifying times for 2012.

2:19.00. Damn! Thats a 5.18 pace. I guess I should stick to Boston. However, if I qualify for Boston in the next 2 years .... I may have to up the ante a bit. While I don't think I could ever qualtfy for the actual Olympic team ... it is nice to think I might be able to run in the time trials just for the story....

Looking forward to a relaxing weekend of bbq, running and fishing. Until next run....

No comments:

Post a Comment