Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Day 30 - Recovery

Just a quick run down of the last weeks activities. I promise I will get more active with this blogging as I get more and more involved in this running lifestyle.

Day 25 - Unfortunately I was traveling and as such had to miss my recovery day. Luckily, thats the best day to miss. Strike 1.


Day 27 - 6miles Marathon Pace
Miles 6.1
Time 50.25
Pace 8.20 min/mile
HR Ave/Max 164/181
Running Index 57

I think I need to make adjustments to my marathon pace versus lactate threshold pace. The run on Day 24 was eerily similiar to this run. However, the good news is - even after 5 hours of restless sleep on a small air matress, I was able to get up at 5:50a and push this run out. It was nice running around Julian's grandmas lake. I even saw an albino squirrel which was pretty cool. The course included 2 loops around a 2 mile 'big island' and then a little out and back from there. Overall it was a great run and I don't feel tired for tomorrow's 11.


Day 28 - 11 mile LSD
Miles 11.0
Time 1:40.03
Pace 9.05 min/mile
HR Ave/Max 167/194
Running Index 54

This was an interesting run. The first 40 minutes (4.65 miles) was incredible. I found a small 11 mile bike trail outside of Granville, OH. The trail would have taken me to Johnstown had I continued to the end. I had to run an out and back today though. I started on the trail at mile marker 3.5 and planned to run to 9 and then head back.

The first 4.5 miles to marker 8 was one of the best runs I've had this year. I ran the first half mile with my headphones on, then realized I was surrounded by nature, farms, streams and trees. I took my headphones off and continued down this bike trail. There were a good number of bikers on the path, and I also passed a couple of runners as well.

Then I reached mile marker 8. Next thing I know, I'm climbing. And climbing. And climbing. At this point my average pace took a nose dive to around 10 min/mile and my heart rate sky rocketed to the top of my limit. I became irritated because my run was going so well, and then it all fell apart. My legs started hurting (because I had to shorten my stride and try and maintain my HR). The hill lasted the entire mile, and then I got to turn around. I used the downhill to gradually get back up to pace. Finally by the hour marker I decided to put my headphones on, and just run. I picked the pace back up to around 8.50/mile to finish off the run.

The run was great again until around 8.5 miles. Then my HR started getting unhappy with me again. My heart rate ended up getting up into the 174-176 range for awhile and I was really struggling to bring it home. However, I finished off the last 5k in 26:46. Thats not bad if you ask me. I'm really feeling confident for this Half Marathon on next Sunday.

Day 30 - 3mile Recovery
Miles 3.0
Time 28.24
Pace 9.31 min/mile
HR Ave/Max 145/151
Running Index 60

Another running index of 60! This is again encouraging news (if you believe in the Polar made up running index factor). I think if I average it out, I'm running around 57-58. Based on the polar running index calculation web site... this means they expect that I can run a 1:40 half marathon and a 3:32 marathon. I don't know that it's very likely as my ENDURANCE is what is the problem at this point. However, I did run a pretty easy (overall) 11 miler Sunday that was in 1:40. I'm not sure if I can run another 2 miles in there in the same time ... but I think I can definitely step it up to around an 8:30 pace for the weekend. I guess we'll see what the polar thinks of my pace after the Half.

I promise to start blogging more frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment